Friday, May 1, 2009

Textual and Musical Representation

The lyrics of this song were co-written by Tony Asher and Brian Wilson. You can read them below:

I may not always love you
But long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I’ll make you so sure about it

God only knows what I’d be without you

If you should ever leave me
Though life would still go on believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me

God only knows what I’d be without you

God only knows what I’d be without you

If you should ever leave me
Well life would still go on believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me

God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows what I’d be without you
God only knows
God only knows what I’d be without you

This song is a love song, and one of the most touching ever written. Yet you wouldn’t get that from the first line, “I may not always love you,” which may be the most ironic lyrics in the history of love songs. The song follows the singer/character in first who may or may not be talking to his lover directly. But, as we get into the next part of the verse we realize he’s just using the line to try and make explicit how deeps his love is; he will continue to love until his death, because the only reason he would stop would be when the universe ends and there are no more stars existing. And so as long as he is living he will do whatever he needs to prove himself to his lover.
Next comes the focal sentiment of the piece: “God only know what I’d be without you.” It is a line so powerful in that it is so simple. The singer feels absolutely blessed to have his lover because she is what make him him. Had anymore been written, I believe only clutter would have been added and effectiveness lost. I feel McLuhan would consider this a very “cool” lyric because it is so open to interpretation yet universal statement. It makes one wonder what kind of person the singer’s lover is, and allows them to supply to their own beliefs to what makes the perfect soulmate. It makes them think about who shapes them. The lyrics also makes one think that this song is actually more of the singer talking and music to himself rather than talking directly to his significant other. It is implied to be rhetorical and not actually posed as serious question but rather a musing one would make to oneself. Also, as mentioned in the historical background, this was one of the first POP songs to make use of the word “God” both in the title and within the lyrics. This choice, when listening now years later, doesn’t seem out of place. In fact it, only supports the singers sincerity and imbues the song with a sense of spirituality.
The second and only other verse takes up a more melancholic tone. Here the singer dwells upon the thought of being abandoned by his love and the suffering it would incur. He takes on a realist tone in the second line, admitting that “Though life would still go on,” he doesn’t believe he could keep on living because the “world could show nothing to him”. Here it seems that Asher and Wilson seem to be playing word games, probably in the more literal sense. In the second line “life” could be considered a more depersonal metaphor meaning that the world and time continues—people will keep going about and living their lives. The world does not stop for someone’s emotions. But this world would no longer be able to show him anything he states in the third line. While that is not true in the literal sense, I’m sure he could learn facts and other things, he seems to be talking about world in a more personal metaphoric sense—i.e. that his lover is his world and was the only one who could actually “show” him anything of value.
Thus the chorus that follows, though it is the same line seems to take up a new definition. After just considering this prospect and possibly freaking himself out, the singer now has a new sense of relief and appreciation for his lover.
The second verse repeats, possibly implying that this qualm is one deep-rooted in his psyche
The round singing of the chorus builds and reaffirms the singer’s gratitude toward his lover with every repeat until the song fades out.

No comments:

Post a Comment